How to change the settings for my monitor that shows ”HDR Emulated” instead of “HDR On” while the HDR video looks good?
Please follow below steps to verify and fix the issue:
1. Make sure the video content is encoded with HDR by looking for the HDR description or logo. For example, for YouTube, the video quality setting should indicate “HDR.” For streaming services such as Netflix, the HDR logo will be displayed on the video cover.
2. Check the internet speed and ensure it is fast enough to stream HDR content. For example, for HDR content in 4K resolution, the download speed should be higher than 25 megabits per second.
3. Check the HDR compatibility of source device. The firmware of source device should be updated to the latest version and support HDR and HDCP 2.2.
4. Verify whether the cables support HDR. The cables that come with BenQ HDR monitors are recommended for the best video quality. If an aftermarket cable is used, make sure it fits one the following requirements:
-HDMI: HDMI 1.4 or later versions.
-DisplayPort/DP to MiniDP: DP 1.2 or later versions.
-USB Type C: USB-C certified.
For more information, please refer to: httcps://www.benq.com/en/knowledge-center/knowledge/hdr-troubleshooting-instruction.html
What is the difference between PM (Palette Master) and PME (Palette Master Element)?
1. PM (Palette Master): Applies to PV270 only and supports X-rite calibrators only based on a co-development program between BenQ and X-Rite Inc.
2. PME (Palette Master Element): Applies to the SW series and part of the PV series and supports X-rite as well as Datacolor Spyder calibrators.
Why doesn’t my USB-C cable work properly?
1. Please make sure your laptop's USB-C port supports DisplayPort Alt mode.
2. Please make sure the purchased cable is certified by USB-IF and has feature include power delivery and video/audio/data transfer functionality.
Why are the calibration results bad when using an HDMI connection?
Please check your graphics card settings to make sure the HDMI output range is in full range (0-255) instead of limited range (16-235), and set the HDMI PC range to Full (0-255) in monitor ‘s OSD setting.
Why can't Palette Master Element recognize the monitor when connecting to USB 3.0 port?
Please take out then re-plug in both the USB cable and the power cable of the monitor to solve the issue. If the issue still exists, please contact BenQ local service centre.
No image is displayed when I connect the signal cable. Why?
Step 1: Please manually choose the correct input source from the monitor's OSD menu.
Step 2: If step 1 doesn’t work, please use another cable and select the correct input source from the monitor's OSD menu again.
Step 3: If the monitor still doesn’t work properly after Step 1 and 2, please use another PC/NB or signal cable and change the OSD input source accordingly. If the monitor can work normally, the symptom of no images most likely arises from your graphics card. Please contact your graphics card service center for further support and help.
Step 4: If the monitor still doesn’t work after all above steps, please contact BenQ service center for further assistance.
The FDTI driver was not working when connection between PME and BenQ display failed. How do I fix it?
The FDTI driver was not working when connection between PME and BenQ display failed. How to fix it?
Please follow below steps to fix the FDTI driver issue:
(1) Download PME (Palette Master Element) that fits the OS on your PC/NB from local BenQ website.
(2) Remove all USB devices such as Wacom from the monitor, except the FTDI device and USB cable that connects to the PC/NB.
(3) If the FTDI driver still does not work, unplug the FTDI device and then replug.
(4) Reboot the PC/NB and start using PME to check if the FTDI driver works.
Note that if two monitors are used simultaneously, ensure that extended mode, instead of mirror display mode, on your PC/NB is used to display the content on the monitors.
If the issue still exists, please contact your BenQ local service centre.
How do I resolve the warning message that was displayed when I started to install Palette Master Element on Mac?
Please press OK and continue with the installation. Palette Master Element will work on Mac with no problem.
How come my monitor has no image when connecting to a Mac through USB-C?
Please make sure to connect your Mac and monitor with a BenQ USB-C cable or a USB-C cable which is certified by the USB-IF and features power delivery as well as full video, audio, and data transmission. Some USB-C cables for Mac are USB-C charge cables and do not support video. Also, please make sure the correct resolution and refresh rate are selected on your Mac and the monitor.
When connecting the monitor with a Mac, why is LBL (low blue light) color mode disabled and greyed out in the OSD menu? How can I switch on?
Please make sure HDR is turned off on your Mac. Starting from MacOS 10.15.4, HDR is automatically activated on your Mac, so the monitor detects HDR and stays in HDR mode, which prevents LBL activation.
Can I calibrate the monitor without using the shading hood?
The monitor can be calibrated without using the shading hood. However, the calibration result may not be as optimal as using the shading hood will reduce the impact of ambient light.
What is the difference between HW calibration and SW calibration?
SW calibration (software calibration) adjusts graphics card output while HW calibration (hardware calibration) enables adjustment of the LUT (Lookup Table) in the monitor which gives more accurate colours.
Why is the contrast ratio lower than the claimed value following the result of a measurement?
This is a normal phenomenon for monitors calibrated at the factory. Contrast ratio is luminance of the brightest colour (white) to that of the darkest colour (black). Due to factory calibration procedure, a panel's white point needs to be adjusted to standard 6500K and thus reduces the maximum brightness of the particular unit. As a result, the contrast ratio becomes lower than claimed.
What should I do when my sensor is not recognized by the OS?
Please perform the following steps to fix the issue:
(1) Connect the sensor to another USB hub and re-start Palette Master Element.
(2) Reboot the OS.
(3) Install the latest version of Palette Master Element.
How do I to load the correct ICC profile generated by Palette Master Element?
Please switch the display mode to Extended to load the correct ICC profile. The OS cannot recognize which monitor was calibrated and cannot load the correct ICC profile when the display mode is Mirror.
Why do colours in websites look overly vivid with my SW monitor?
Colors of websites are usually defined by sRGB (Standard RGB) color space with limited color range. However, SW monitors are capable of displaying extended color range to match the actual colors in nature. Therefore, if the original image or content is set to sRGB color space, it will be displayed more vividly on SW monitors. Users can switch to sRGB color mode on SW monitors to show images with sRGB color space.
When I enable HDR and WCG in Windows 10, I cannot change any color or brightness settings on OSD. The options are grayed out. What can be done to change the settings in HDR mode?
HDR mode follows standard HDR settings. Therefore, most of its OSD options cannot be configured after you enable both the monitor HDR mode and "HDR and WCG" in Windows 10. For more details, please refer to Available menu options for each colour mode in the User Manual.
Can I use third-party calibration softwares to calibrate my monitor?
Yes, you still can enjoy software calibration like il profiler, but only Lightspace
and CalMAN support full access to adjust the color IC in the monitor.
Can I use X-Rite ColorMunki to calibrate the SW monitors?
Yes, X-Rite ColorMunki can be used for hardware calibration on SW monitors.
Can I run Palette Master Element on a virtual OS, such as BootCamp, Parallels, or VMware?
No. Palette Master Element calibration software cannot recognize the monitor when running on a virtual OS, including BootCamp, Parallels, and VMware.
Does Palette Master Element calibration software support both Windows and Mac OS?
Yes. BenQ’s Palette Master Element calibration software supports the following operating systems:
Windows: Win7 32/64 bits or aboveMac: 10.6.8 or above
How long should I warm up the monitor before using it?
For the most stable color performance, it is suggested to warm up the monitor for 30 minutes before using it.
Can I change color settings after the calibration is done?
Color settings cannot be changed after the calibration is finished to prevent accidental adjustments to the calibrated results.
Please re-calibrate with preferred new settings and save to Calibration 1/2/3.
How can I display pictures in 10-bit color?
Please follow below steps to display pictures in 10-bit color:
(1) Ensure RAW/TIF files support 10-bit.
(2) Install software that supports 10-bit files, such as Photoshop or Lightroom.
(3) Install a graphics card that supports 10 bits, such as Nvidia Quadro or AMD FireGL/Radeon Pro series.
(4) Connect your PC/laptop to the monitor with DisplayPort to display the pictures.
Can I adjust the brightness and luminance target with Palette Master Element?
Yes, the brightness and luminance target can be adjusted with Palette Master Element. However, it is recommended to use the default settings to keep a constant brightness level during the lifetime of the monitor.
What is Preset Calibration Mode used for?
In Preset Calibration Mode, calibration results can be saved to the OSD of the monitor directly for easy ICC profile implementation in the future.
How to set up custom White Point in Palette Master Element?
Please follow below steps to set up custom White Point in Palette Master Element:
(1) Select desired RGB primaries from pull-down menu and White Point pull-down menu will become available.
(2) Select desired White Point from one of the options: - CIE Daylight series- Daylight Color Temperature- Measurement options
How often should I calibrate my monitor?
It is recommended to calibrate your monitor once every two weeks or at least once per month for the best performance.
What types of calibrator does Palette Master Element support?
"Supported calibrators include:
- X-Rite: i1 Display Pro / i1 Pro / i1 Pro 2 / i1 Studio / i1 DisplayPro Plus / i1 Pro 3 Plus / Color Munki Photo (excluding X-Rite ColorMunki Design/Smile/Display series)
- Datacolor: Spyder 4 / Spyder 5 / Spyder X (including all EXPRESS, PRO, and ELITE series)
Please check the specifications on the Palette Master Element software page for the latest updates.
* MacOS 10.15 update: Spyder 4 / il Display 2 not supported"